Introduction to Microsoft Excel is a non-credit online course that dives into the fundamentals of using Microsoft Excel from a practical use perspective. The course covers principles of data collection and analysis, building functional spreadsheets, Excel tools, and macros. Emphasis is placed on practicality; tutorials use the framework of a business case to illustrate the real-world application of course content.
Participants can expect to complete a combination of short assignments and activities during the course. Regular online participation is also required for successful completion. Upon completion students will be awarded a grade of complete or incomplete.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Navigate Microsoft Excel and demonstrate a basic understanding of its functionality
- Determine what categories of data are relevant to a given business scenario, and present collected data in an organized, logical format
- Employ Microsoft Excel tools, in varying levels of complexity, to present and analyze business data (including calculated cells, logical statements and other functions, charts and pivot tables, and filtering)
- Understand basic syntax of Microsoft Visual Basic within the context of macro code
- Record macros and write simple code for macros
All course details can be accessed through Blackboard. A link will be provided through email and you will have access the first day of class.
Please activate your UWinID. Your UWinID and password are needed to access Blackboard. If you have any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blackboard.uwindsor.ca works best with Google Chrome. You can also use Firefox or Safari. It is suggested that you avoid using Internet Explorer. There is a “Navigating Your Online Course” module and technical tutorials that you can review for a brief orientation to Blackboard once you log in. Feel free to review the full Blackboard preferred system requirements.
Schedule: Mondays and Wednesdays, January 17-February 2, 2022 | 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Format: Online, synchronous/live instruction and applied practice. Continuing Education will provide access to Microsoft Excel.
Prerequisites: English language proficiency
Requirements: Access to a computer with high-speed internet.
Course Fee & Discounts: $175+HST. UWindsor Alumni, staff and students are entitled to discounts. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Connor Hasegawa is a partner at Futurelab, a Windsor-based consulting firm; in this role, he advises clients in both the public and private sectors, across a wide range of industries, on a variety of issues related to strategy and innovation. Connor completed a Bachelor of Commerce (Honours with Thesis) at the Odette School of Business at the University of Windsor, and conducted research on leadership and organizational behaviour within innovative teams throughout the course of his degree. He has participated in substantial Excel-related course redesign at the Odette School of Business, and has developed and taught Excel tutorials there for several years.
About OSAP 2021-22 Micro-credentials Application
- This program is eligible for the OSAP 2021-22 Micro-credential application (OSAPMC).
- Participants must be registered into the program prior to applying for OSAPMC.
- Participants are obligated to pay their fees in full, or decide to withdraw at least one week prior to the course start date should they not receive OSAPMC.
- If this is the case, email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to withdraw and request a refund.
- Register for this program accordingly to allow ample time for your application to be processed. It takes approximately 10-15 business days for the OSAPMC application to be processed.