Starts May 1, 2021!
Watch our livestreamed session here.
This online course covers fundamental topics in cyber security or information security. Learners will participate in live interactive classes to understand threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities, the architecture and design of a system, effective implementation of security solutions, incident response and governance, and risk and compliance. Upon completion of the class, learners will be able to investigate a network and create a report recommending steps to mitigate threats, attacks and vulnerabilities.
Content of this course is mapped with the CompTIA Security + curriculum for those who are interested in pursuing the certification.
Threats, Attacks and Vulnerabilities
- Analyze potential indicators to determine various types of threats, attacks and vulnerabilities
- Explain the techniques used in penetration testing
Architecture and Design
- Explain the importance of security concepts in an enterprise environment and cloud computing
- Recognize secure application development, deployment, and automation concepts including authentication and authentication design concepts
- Demonstrate an understanding of implementing secure mobile solutions, identify and account management controls and public key infrastructure
- Apply host or application security solutions and create secure network designs
- Demonstrate an understanding of installing and configuring wireless security settings
- Write reports analyzing a vulnerability of a system and apply cybersecurity solutions to the cloud and implement cybersecurity resilience
Operations and Incident Response
- Use the appropriate tools to assess organizational security
- Summarize the importance of policies, processes, and procedures for incident response and organizational security
- Use digital forensics to respond to an incident using appropriate data sources, mitigation techniques and controls to secure the environment
Governance, Risk and Compliance
- Explain the importance of applicable regulations, standards or frameworks that impact organizational security posture
- Identify privacy concepts and risk management processes in relation to security
Schedule: Saturdays, 8:30am to 1:00pm with breaks to complete 48 hours of online, live instruction over 12 weeks.
- May 1, 8, 15, 29 - no class on May 22
- June 5, 12, 19, 26.
- July 10, 17, 24 - no class on July 3 or 31
- August 7th
Cost: $1,300 +HST
- A payment plan is available to all.
- UWindsor alumni, staff and students are eligible for discounts. Please contact email@example.com for the appropriate discount code.
- Required Textbook: CompTIA Security+ Review Guide: Exam SY0-601 by James Michael Stewart
- Download free open source Ethical Hacking software
- Download Virtual Box, free software
- Access to highspeed internet to participate in class on Blackboard.
Prerequisites: In order to ensure you are academically prepared, it is expected that you have:
1. Successfully completed Grade 12 or equivalency
2. Successfully completed one grade 12 math or equivalency
3. English Language Proficiency
4. Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such as Word
Proof of completion may be requested for any of the above.
Dr. Ikjot Saini is an Automotive Cybersecurity professional whose research is focused on the Connected and Autonomous Vehicles covering the security and privacy of V2X and in-vehicle security. She has published many research papers and journal articles, including V2X privacy schemes, engineering privacy attacks for equitable assessment, DSRC network congestion and routing protocols. She is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computer Science at the University of Windsor. She is also an independent Security Consultant. She is serving as the Academic Director of the Automotive Security Research Group and chapter lead at Windsor. She is currently serving as a member of the APMA Cyber Security Committee as a V2X technology expert. Dr. Saini is passionate about cybersecurity and is a leading voice promoting women’s participation and leadership. She has founded the first Canadian Student Chapter of Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS) with the mission to provide opportunities for women to learn and get hands-on experience and was awarded for Student Chapter of the Year in 2020 among 103 student chapters. She is currently serving as Academic Chair on WiCyS Ontario Affiliate Board. She is stream owner of “IoT and Edge Security” at Aggregate Intellect and serving on various advisory committees. She is serving on the Auto Parts Manufacturers Association- Cyber Security Committee as V2X Technology Expert. She was the winner of the cyber woman of the year award, one of the cyber mobility awards, in 2020 and inaugural WEtech Alliance Woman in Tech of the Year award in 2019. She has been featured in 2020 Canadians to Watch by Auto News Canada.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions - we are always happy to help.
Sign up on our Interest List to be notified about enrolment and receive updates from Continuing Education.