Discover the world of abstract painting and create your own works of art this winter! Through a series of six weekly classes, you will explore different mediums and learn how to develop your visual language to express emotions through colour, line form and mark making. Participants will learn how to mix paint, utilize various painting techniques, and explore different materials. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced painter, you will learn about visual representation, abstraction and the process of creating your own unique artistic style.
Lesson 1: Introduction
· Discover history, processes and materials of abstract expressionist painting
· Learn Colour Theory and Mixing and create your own Colour Wheel/Scales
· Practice expressing feelings through mark making
· Review the importance and purpose of using a sketchbook
· Practice and paint
Lesson 2: Mixed Media and Experimentation
· Discuss various abstract expressionist painters and the wide range of materials they use
· Explore a variety of materials, techniques and tools to investigate various surfaces and objects
· Investigating your own unique style and technique
· Explore and paint
Lesson 3: Realistic and Abstract Representation
· Review the process of abstracting an image
· Walk through a decision-making process of imagery to keep and discard
· Learn how to keep the painting representational and other parts flowing into abstraction
· Learn scale of representation between realistic and non-representational
· Modify, transform and paint
Lesson 4: Creative Process and Layer
· Discover process-based art
· Work in multiple layers on canvas
· Continue to develop your art and painting (s)
Lesson 5: Think Outside the Frame
· Explore different ways to move beyond the frame of the canvas and onto the walls or space of the gallery
· Investigate various painters who move beyond the frame
· Begin to finalize painting and prepare for the last class critique
Lesson 6: Critique and Celebrate!
· Participate in a class virtual gallery display
· Learn how critiquing can be fun and informative for your art practice
· Discuss challenges, successes and improvements of your own art pieces
When: Thursdays, 6:00pm to 8:00pm, February 4 thru March 11, 2021.
Where: Online, live instruction
Fees: $189 + HST UWindsor Alumni, Staff and Students are all eligible for discounts. Contact email@example.com for more details
Prerequisites: Access to a computer with high-speed internet to stream classes.
Materials are not included. Participants must purchase the following materials before the start of the class, many of which you likely already have at home! Continuing Education will also help by listing suppliers who are offering curbside pickup.
· Any size canvas and any number of canvases preferred
· Large acrylic paint tubes (red, blue, yellow, black and white)
· Gesso (Canvas primer)
· Gel Medium
· Various paintbrush sizes
· Palette knives (2-3)
· Spray bottle
· Sponges, towels or paper towels
· Scissors, glue and painter’s tape
· Other materials of your choice (ex. Mixed media paper, sand, sugar, magazine cut-outs, printed photos)
Instructor: April Morris, MFA
April Morris is a visual artist and arts educator born here in Windsor, Ontario. Exploratory walks taken through her hometown inspire Morris, as she explores a sense of place. The vibrancy and colour in her works come from unusual and unexpected surroundings. She holds a Bachelor of fine Arts Honors degree, Bachelor of Education, an Arts Management Certificate, and a Masters of Fine Arts from the University of Windsor. Currently she works as an artist and arts educator here in Windsor, ON.
Sign up on our Interest List to be notified about enrolment and receive updates from Continuing Education.