Clinical practice continues to evolve with the advent of new technologies and the continued integration of technology into the daily care of patients. The data accumulated by technology can be used to better inform the delivery of care, develop new care pathways and overall, improve the health of our population.
The provincial government has recognized this growing field as a required skill set to advance the health care system, to meet the increasing demand to integrate technology, and clinical workflows to provide the best care to the patient and enable those caring for patients.
Program Modules, Dates and Instructors:
Dates: Saturday, January 23 & 30, 2021 9:00am - 4:00pm
Instructors: Dr. Deborah Dayus & Kim Ramirez
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of health/clinical informatics in Ontario healthcare delivery.
- Describe the healthcare system in Canada and Ontario, related organizations, service models and key factors affecting healthcare.
- Identify opportunities and strategies for influencing the future direction of informatics locally, nationally and internationally as it pertains to consumers, inter-professional practice and the roles and responsibilities of all involved.
- Plan and facilitate effective meetings with teams and individuals.
- Describe basic project management principles including project charter, scope, lifecycle, budgets, resourcing, timelines, milestones, monitoring, status reports.
- Apply effective project management and communication principles and strategies for successful implementation of new processes.
Dates: Saturday, February 13 & 20, 2021 9:00am - 4:00pm
Instructor: Dustin Reeves
- Communicate/demonstrate basic understanding of computer networks.
- Communicate/demonstrate basic understanding of cybersecurity.
- Communicate basic understanding of electronic health records (EHR).
- Demonstrate basic understanding of Excel (tables, graphs, pivot tables, dashboards).
Dates: Saturday, March 6 & 13, 2021 9:00am - 4:00pm
Instructor: Lesley Janisse
- Identify and define data types, codes, classifications
- Explain the need for standards and describe the general pattern for developing standands
- Become familiar with and utilize basic medical terminology
- Determine data requirements for various stakeholders
- Acquire quality, valid and relevant sources of data
Dates: Saturday, March 27 & Saturday, April 10, 2021 9:00am - 4:00pm
Instructors: Dustin Reeves and Dr. Saeed Samet
Communicate/demonstrate understanding of data visualization techniques, result reporting and provide recommendations.
Communicate a basic understanding of health data analytics.
Evaluate data for quality for healthcare delivery and systems management standards
Dates: Saturday, April 24 & Saturday, May 1, 2021 9:00am - 4:00pm
Instructor: Adam Paglione
Understand privacy and security requirements related to legal and professional standards in the management of health care information (and Digital Health Canada).
Identify quality assurance and risk mitigation methods for patient safety.
Dates: Saturday, May 15 & 29, 2021 9:00am - 4:00pm
Instructors: Kim Ramirez and Dr. Deborah Dayus
- Utilize effective training techniques to support clinicians in the use of electronic records
- Group presentations and final evaluation
This program meets the meticulous standards for curriculum quality and value as established by Digital Health Canada and qualifies successful participants for 72 Continuing Education hours to be used towards Certified Professional in Health Care Information & Management Systems (CPHIMS-CA) certification renewal.
When: Next offering begins January 2021
Fees: $1,800+HST due upon registration or scheduled payment option of $600+HST downpayment with additional $600+HST due on February 27, 2021 and April 17, 2021, respectively.
Discounts: UWindsor Alumni, Staff and Students are eligible for enrolment discounts - email us for more information email@example.com
Prerequisites: It will be expected that learners in this program will have:
Basic computer skills or course completion in fundamental computer applications such Word
Experience working with word processing, email and web browsing
Knowledge in statistics and mathematical literacy equivalent to grade 12
Post-secondary education in a health-related or business field is strongly recommended
English language proficiency
Watch this short clip to learn about the growing industry, employment prospects and course details.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions - we are always happy to help.
Sign up on our Interest List to be notified about enrolment and receive updates from Continuing Education.